Becoming and staying healthy require knowledge, discipline, and commitment, and they begin with proper nutrition. Eating the right kinds of food is normally easier said than done. Although we know what foods are good for us and what foods are unhealthy, it is still difficult to control what we eat.
Here are 5 smart tips on how you to plan healthier diet and actually stay on it without depriving yourself from our delicious cravings.
- While fat is what makes food tasty and delicious, the total amount of fat in your daily meals should be significantly reduced. This can be done by doing all or any of the following cooking tips:
- choosing foods with no or less fats;
- trimming off fat from chicken, beef, and pork before cooking;
- by broiling or boiling foods, rather than frying them;
- by not eating the fatty portions of food or cutting them off fat before serving; and
- by using polyunsaturated fats –these are the soft and liquid-type fats often found in plants like peanut oil and corn oil)
- Use fatty, junk, and cholesterol-rich foods as much as possible. Chips, candies, shellfish, and egg yolks are examples of foods that are rich in fats and/or cholesterol, so make sure to minimize your intake of them.
- Reduce the amount of sugar in your foods and drinks, such as in coffee, soft drinks, cakes, breads, and more. When it comes to fruits, eat fresh ones instead those that come in syrup.
- Encourage children to eat fruits and vegetables at their young age. This way, when they grow up, they will not be choosy when it comes to food that they’ll eat. Also, avoid feeding them too much processed foods, such as hotdogs, luncheon meat, French fries, hamburgers, and the likes.
- As much as possible, avoid eating at fast food stores and restaurants. They normally use a lot of salt and additives to make their foods tasty and delicious. If you have the time and resources, just cook at home to ensure that the food your family will eat is safe, healthy, and do not use preservatives and additives.
Nutritionists and health professionals advise that you don’t need to starve yourselves or deprive yourselves from the foods and drinks that you want to consume. You just have to eat moderately. Remember, too much of anything is bad for the health.